Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reading...Treason at Lisson Grove

Treason at Lisson Grove by Anne Perry.

I am a huge fan of Anne Perry's writing.  I love both her Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series as well as the William Monk series.

I was really looking forward to reading this book because it has been about 3 years since the last Pitt book.  However, it wasn't my favorite.  I enjoyed it because I have grown attached to the story line of Charlotte and Thomas, I would love to continue reading about them.  But this was not one of Perry's better novels. While it was entertaining it was frankly unbelievable.  In the past her books have always been believable, but this one has Pitt turning into some sort of hero, saving the world, or empire.  I am glad I read it, and would possibly read it again, but it is definitely not her best work.

And now I have a confession to make.  Despite being an avid reader of Anne Perry, and despite having read all but a couple of her books, I never knew until recently that she was a convicted murderess.  I do not know how I missed that. Briefly, she and her best friend murdered her best friend's mother back in 1954. Perry was about 15 years old at the time and wasn't tried as an adult. She did serve 5 years in prison for the crime.  Once I stumbled upon this story I found numerous posts online about her past.  I know I was reading her books when the story swept the Internet, I can't believe it didn't catch my attention. There has even been a movie made based on the story.  As I was reading all these posts about her, some people stating they would never read her books again, some people stating that it didn't matter what she had done, I found myself wanting to comment and join in the fray.  Only problem,  most of the uproar was in 2004. A little late to be adding my two cents worth.  This won't change my interest in her books. I do not agree with the people that say she should be boycotted. She didn't get away with murder, she served the time she was given.  Some people feel that it is inappropriate for her to write murder mysteries.  Why?  Her books almost always have the criminal getting caught and punished, she does not seem to be advocated crime.  Since her books take place in the 1800's I don't believe you can even make a good case that her experience of murder, being tried, convicted and prison time gives her material to write with. I'm not sure what type of writing people would find acceptable for her, would they feel better if she were writing children's books?  I think instead we should consider that she may in fact be a success of the justice system. She committed a crime, served her time, and has gone on to be a productive member of society.

I look forward to reading her next book. I just hope the writing is better than this book!

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...