Thursday, July 15, 2010

Oil spill contained???

When I heard this morning that BP had announced that the leak had been contained my first reaction was "Of good, great news!" And I proceeded to go about my day. Then I thought had sad it was that I wasn't more excited, that I didn't give BP some credit for stopping the leak, so I decided to write this post.

As with many things we quickly forget disasters that aren't immediately affecting us. Most of us don't think about the effects of the oil spill many times a day and yet there are so many people whose lives have been changed forever. How often do we think about the people in Haiti? Recent reports state that the conditions there aren't a lot better than the weeks after the earthquake. Death tolls now top a quarter of a million, I can't even comprehend over 250,000 deaths. I just find it somewhat ironic, and sad, that more people seem to be interested in the news about the IPhone 4.0 than the fact progress has been made in starting the recovery of one of the biggest man-made disasters in history.

So, I for one am happy that BP managed to contain the spill, ahead of their estimated date of August! Now, people can start assessing the damage and hopefully start a recovery before too many human and animal lives are ruined!

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...