Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas..."

Well, that was fun, our 1st Christmas with two toddlers in the house!  It had lots of excitement, smiles and even more tears!  We didn't realize how many tears go hand in hand with the excitement of Christmas. Apparently for my kids the anticipation, the stack of presents under the tree were all too much excitement so periodically they just had to sit and cry it out!

We had a very nice, quiet Christmas. Peter was off Christmas Eve, it was nice having him around the house for the day!  I actually ran into town to pick up a few things, they were things that I wanted but didn't really need so it wasn't stressful. It was funny to me to see the frantic shopping of some people that apparently had waited till Christmas Eve to start shopping. I was at a toy store and this guy walked into the store stopped and said "I need toys!"
the associate says "ok sir, we can help you, is there anything in particular you are looking for?"
"no, I just need toys."
"ok sir, what ages of children are these for?"
"my kids, two boys, 4 and 6, I just need presents for them."
The associate went off to help him, you had to feel a little sorry for the guy, he looked absolutely terrified. Considering that it was Christmas Eve and not having any gifts for your 4 and 6 year old he probably was right to feel terrified!

That evening we went around the neighborhood and dropped off cards and baked goods to our neighbors. We got to visit with a few but then it got close to dinner time and the kiddos were reaching meltdown point so we made a few quick drop offs and then headed back home. I had picked up some easy food for dinner, chicken tenders, cheese and crackers, things like that. After dinner we started the tradition of opening one present on Christmas Eve, which (of course) was pajamas for everyone. We all got coordinating pajamas. The kids pj's were a two-piece red with snowflakes and sock monkeys on them, mine was also a 2-pc similar to theirs. Peter got really lucky and he got a red, one piece, footed, zip up pajamas with sock monkey feet! We didn't get a good picture of all of us in our pajamas, we will have to try again because this must be documented! We then got the kids ready for bed and I had Wythe set out the milk and cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer.

setting out cookies

carrots for the reindeer 

the leftovers

I explained to Wythe why we were leaving out cookies and carrots but I wasn't sure if he understood but in the morning when we brought him out to the living room the first thing he noticed, not the pile of presents under the tree, but that the cookies, milk and carrots were mostly eaten. He said "Santa eat milk, Santa eat cookies!" Then he picked up the leftover pieces of cookies and proceeded to eat them!

Santa was very good to the Rightmyer family this year, as you can tell from the picture below!




Wythe, checking out his stocking

Ainsley & daddy emptying their stockings

 Opening presents
Ainsley got a couple of toys but mainly items for a toy kitchen. Wythe got more cars, he loves cars, some more Lego's and the best of all Thomas the Train. When he opened Thomas the Train it totally "derailed" him and he didn't open anymore presents until later in the day.

I received some books I had been wanting to read as well as a new coffee maker!  I got the Tassimo coffee maker so in the morning I can enjoy my Starbucks latte!  Peter got mainly practical items, shoes, slippers, socks, a couple books. He said the socks were probably the best present, he didn't realize how bad his socks were until he put new ones on and his feet stayed warm all day!


We gave Ainsley my play kitchen that I had gotten for my 2nd birthday, amazingly it is still intact. So, far both Wythe & Ainsley are enjoying playing with it.

We had a couple neighbors join us for Christmas dinner, I was so glad they came to help us eat food, otherwise we would have been eating leftovers for the next month! We had spiral sliced ham, green beans with red pepper and caramelized shallots, Brussels sprouts and scalloped potatoes. I also made a spiced mocha cake for dessert and forgot to serve it, I remembered as our company was driving down the driveway.

I hope everyone else had a Christmas as lovely as ours!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


'til next time...

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool, I will be waiting for the better PJ pics. I think you should post the picture of the kitchen on Facebook and see how many people remember that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments...