Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reading...Alexander McCall Smith...

"The Sunday Philosophy Club"

I picked this book up at a used book store, thumbed through it and decided to buy it. I liked it so much I went back and bought the 2nd "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" (how could you resist a book with this title!) and 3rd book, "The Right Attitude to Rain" of the series.

This author seems to be primarily known for his series "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency". I must admit I have tried to read those books and for some reason cannot get into them. I will keep trying but so far I haven't had much luck.

I did get a book of his from the library, "44 Scotland Street" and I really enjoyed it. It is really about nothing. It is about the everyday lives of the people that live on Scotland Street. I think that  is why I liked it because it is so opposite of many of the thrillers that are written today.

But, back to this series...I really enjoyed these books and I'm hoping there are more in the series. This book is similar to "44 Scotland Street" in the sense that it is also set in Scotland and it is about the everyday life of Isabel Dalhousie. She is the editor of the "Review of Applied Ethics" and consequently tends to over think every little detail about life. I love the way her mind wanders or rather leaps from topic to topic. I can somewhat relate to that and at times have shuddered at the thought of what someone might think should they ask that simple question "what are you thinking about?"

It is amazing how you can be standing in line for coffee and in that short amount of time, speculate about the person in front of you,

wonder if you should even be speculating,

remember an item you forgot to be on your 'to-do' list,

wonder if anyone else in the coffee shop is worried about the flooding in Pakistan,

wonder how many people can really afford this coffee vs. how many people are just adding it to their ever increasing credit card debt,

wonder it I am the only person that doesn't have an IPhone/Blackberry/thingamajigger,

wonder if I will ever get to sleep through the night again,

wonder if the couple over in the corner are having an affair,

wonder if it is any of my business whether they are or not,

wonder if I knew that they were and knew them and knew their S.O.'s if I would have a moral obligation to reveal what I know,

think that I am glad that I don't know the couple and therefore don't have to sort that last one out

wonder if I remembered to put the wet clothes in the dryer,

....finally my coffee is ready.

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...