Monday, January 12, 2009

6 month milestone's...

Is it just me or do babies grow up too fast?

It is hard to believe that my baby is 6 months old, where does the time go? How can that tiny little bundle that came home with me from the hospital be this big boy that plays in his exersaucer, laughs, throws temper tantrums and brings so much joy to our lives? And, what was our life like before he was born? Only 6 months ago we didn’t know him and yet I can’t imagine life without him.

Wythe just got over his first cough and cold. Now I know why parents are so careful to avoid exposing their kids to other sick kids. I was afraid Wythe was going to get sick after being sneezed on by a sick child and sure enough he came down with a cold. We spent many hours in the rocking chair as that seemed to be the only way to comfort him. And there were a few sleepless nights when he was too congested to breathe. Then of course, he graciously passed on his germs to me and for some reason I seemed to have a worse cold/cough than him. There are times when I feel so much more like a mom than at other times, this was one of them. For the first time in my life I didn’t have the option to crawl into bed and sleep off the sickness. No matter how miserable you feel there are still bottles to make and diapers to change and even if you feel like you can’t put one foot in front of the other, you still have to walk the floor with a sick baby. I was definitely feeling like a “real” mom. It’s funny, the other times I have had that same feeling is when I’m up last at night, the house is all quiet, my husband and baby are sleeping, and I’m folding laundry or picking up toys, those are the moments when it really hits me that I am a mom. What a wonderful feeling.

Wythe also celebrated the new year by popping his first tooth out! It is still just a little nub of a tooth but it is through the gum. I think he is working on another one now as the gum looks swollen again.

Today Wythe had his 6 month doctor’s appointment. As usual we were blessed to get a clean bill of health. He did have to have more shots though. Fortunately, he didn’t try to bite the nurse with his new tooth, that would have been rude. Honestly, I think the shots affect me more than him. He screams when he gets the shots but no more than when he is supposed to be taking a nap. The nurse commented on how upset Wythe gets over the shots, how his face turns beet-red and how loud his screaming is. When I told her that he has the same reaction to taking naps she suggested that I invest in ear plugs. Both the doctor and nurse once again commented that it is a good thing that Wythe is so cute! His cuteness helps compensate a little for his being such a “little booger”.

Wythe continues to grow but it is slowing down….thank goodness! Today he weighed 20 pounds 6 ounces and was 26-1/2 inches long. The doctor said to continue him on the same eating schedule he has been on for the last month or so. Wythe is having several bottles a day and eating baby food. So far he has loved eating the baby food! We have yet to find a food he doesn’t like. I usually feed him vegetables and every now and then some fruits but I am limiting the fruits because I am trying to limit the sugar he gets. Initially I bought the little jars of baby food because I was curious as to what foods he would like. But now that I know he likes everything I am starting to make my own baby food. Using one of the little food mills it is easy to grind up the food we are eating (before I have seasoned it) I haven’t yet tried any meats. I figure when I’m ready to do that I’ll start Wythe out on some home grown pork! At least I will know exactly what is in the meat!!

‘til next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...