Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Raising chickens...

I just realized that I haven't written one post about my chickens.  How weird.

But yes,  I have chickens. They were were born April 1st and arrived in the mail a couple days later.  I should have gotten them the next day but unfortunately they got lost in the mail, not sure how you lose a box and chirping chicks but.....

When they finally arrived some of the chicks looked like this....

Over the next few days even more looked like this...



or as my kids put it  "mommy that baby chicken is sleeping..."  

Yep, the eternal sleep. 

Fortunately, most of the chicks looked like this...




Chicks are just adorable.  So adorable that sometimes you have to keep young children from loving them to death. 


We already had a chicken house from our previous chicken experiment.  But at that time we had a fenced in chicken run that we had since torn down.  We wanted to be able to give our chickens access to pasture without letting them free range every day.  If you've ever had free range chickens you know the disadvantages.  They get into stuff and places that you would rather they did not, such as roosting in your garage or laying eggs in the rafters. They make yummy meals for foxes and hawks and local dogs can have ever so much fun chasing them around and playing with them like squeak toys. 


So, my husband built a portable coop out of PVC pipe that we can drag around the yard.  It fits up to an opening in the side of the chicken house so they can go in and out. Then we can move the coop into the grass to let them forage for food. 






Of course, we still let them free range at times.  They love to perch on the fence, sometimes the hens sit there just to get a break from the roosters. 



This year I have a good variety of chickens, some of the breeds are just gorgeous.  I'll post later in more detail about some of the different breeds. 









I'm expecting these hens to start laying around September, we are looking forward to being back in the egg business!

'til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...