Thursday, May 31, 2018

Reading in May...

The month started out strong with reading and school work but then we left for a week towards the end of the month and my reading slowed down. Still happy with the books I was able to move out of my "to-read" stack. 



The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times
by Jennifer Worth
I love the PBS series Call the Midwife and loved this book. I'm happy to find that so many stories in the TV series were kept so true to the book.



The Rooster Bar
by John Grisham
Not one of my favorites but still an enjoyable read. 



Seven Stones to Stand or Fall
by Diana Gabaldon
This book is a collection of novellas, some previously published, a couple new. The book includes: "Besieged" (original novella), "A Fugitive Green" (original novella), "Virgins," "The Space Between," "Lord John and the Plague of Zombies," "A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows" and "The Custom of the Army."



The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids
by Sarah Mackenzie
I loved this book.  If you are a follower of the Read-Aloud Revival podcast, website, or forum, most of the information will be familiar to you already.  I have followed Sarah Mackenzie for years and have been encouraged at every step.  Her book, Teaching from Rest, is a constant companion to my homeschooling journey.  I am enjoying the book lists she has included in this book.  I also love having so much info compiled in one place.  While I am sure I will continue to search the forum for specific advice I believe I will pick up this book when I start to doubt that reading really is enough.  When my throat is tired and I think surely there are more important things to be doing...I will reach for this book. 



A Hundred Summers
by Beatriz Williams
This is a great summer/beach read! It also sparked my interest in learning more about the hurricane of 1938.


44 Scotland Street
by Alexander McCall Smith
I have read a couple from this series but decided to finally read them in order.  This series is about the day to day life of the residents at 44 Scotland Street.  It is an easy, enjoyable, comfortable read.

My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
My Man Jeeves
by P.G. Wodehouse
I love Wooster and Jeeves and decided I need to read the series in order.  This book is not my favorite of the series.  There are some stories about Wooster and Jeeves but there are also stories about Reggie Pepper, who was an early prototype for Wooster. 



22 Britannia Road
by Amanda Hodgkinson
This book was a little sad and depressing. But as it is about people trying to put their lives back together after the war, how could it not be? I enjoyed it because it is a different perspective than a lot of post-WWII books. It is hard to imagine the challenges of starting a life in a new country after surviving the horrors of war.

'til next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments...